Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Fabricated Image: Artist’s statement: Final Portfolio

The original inspiration for my work came from our assignment Constructed Realities. I began to explore the idea of creating a scene that would be almost normal, but then begin to deviate from “normal”. I was looking to create an almost surreal moment, which causes the viewer to ask unanswerable questions. There is no desire for these images to make sense or be straightforward. Bruce Charlesworth’s work encouraged me to present a seemingly serious process that contains hints of humor behind it.
The character interacts with a plant in a creepy, strange space. I chose for the lighting to come from a single-source flash to push the feeling displacement that occurs in this space. I wanted it to seem as if she was being watched and documented, and I feel that the use of lighting pushes this further. For part two, that proceeds the original scene, the girl continues to interact in this space with the plant, and a second character is introduced: the goldfish. It is not shown if she pours the fish into the sink or not. I also wanted for these images to not be able to be placed in a specific time period (within reason), so I chose props that would not signal to a particular era.
In the future I would like to continue with this kind of work that questions reality and process.

No comments: