Sunday, January 18, 2009

sunshine, quiet times, and crashing waves = good weekend



This weekend the Eugene Young Life leaders went on a retreat to the ocean (more specifically: Florence). We stayed in two amazing houses right on the beach and the weather was wonderful (not windy and no clouds!). I went with semi-low expectations of coming away from the weekend with anything super-valuable, but basically God proved me wrong and blew me out of the water. The simplicity of what He is teaching me is pretty great: step it up. Yes I'm seeking Him in my quiet times and fellowshiping with His people in a church body and serving Him in that body and in showing up at North Eugene HS and meeting girls there and trying to teach them about the amazing love of Christ, but I can do better. I can seek Him more, get deeper, change faster. I can serve Him better, be more bold, love people to His standard.
I approached this weekend with low expectations, yet when I took the time to sit and listen to the Lord, He spoke so clearly through His word. I was so blessed to be able to spend time with such amazing followers of Christ who are serving Him in the same kind of places that I am, seeking to lead highschoolers to Christ. The teams for each of the highschools look different, and none of them are exactly like the "traditional YL club", and it was so encouraging to be able to see the diversity in the ways the Lord works even within the same organization, in the same city, under the same director.
God is awesome and is moving in our city. He is using so many people to do His work, and I know that number will continue to grow in number and depth.

No comments: